2017 Brings New Restaurants, Theater, Free Events
As you gear up to tackle 2017, we’re already anticipating an incredible year in the Square. Here are the top developments we’re excited for this year, plus the best of 2016 you can still enjoy.
1. Union Square Sweat Fest | Don’t give up on those New Year’s resolutions! SWEAT in Union Square with our third annual celebration of Union Square’s health and wellness scene. We’ll keep you committed with silent disco yoga at the W New York – Union Square, an exclusive workout in GrowNYC’s new Project Farmhouse, and free class trials at some of the best gyms in the neighborhood.
2. Union Square Cafe Returns Home | The best part about Union Square Cafe’s new larger space? Each visit reveals something different you love about the restaurant. Whether it’s the artwork, the private nooks, or a seat at one of the bars, you can experience the incredible food and drink that earned the restaurant the highest accolades over the years.
Photo: Emily Andrews, Thrillist
3. Exceptional Off-Broadway Theatre | In February, The Vineyard Theatre introduces John Kander and Greg Pierce’s Kid Victory directed by Liesl Tommy, a hauntingly mesmerizing new musical about seventeen-year-old Luke returning to his small Kansas town after a wrenching one-year absence. Tickets are now on sale! Across the street, the Daryl Roth Theatre presents Vox Luminere’s Phantom Of The Opera, a unique take on the classic musical.
4. New Tech Center on the Way | This season, NYC’s Economic Development Corporation (EDC) will soon reveal the team selected to redevelop the city-owned site at 124 East 14th Street into a new tech hub for a modern workforce. The project may include new office and retail space geared towards startups and co-working.
5. Project Farmhouse | The team behind the world-famous Union Square Greenmarket, GrowNYC, just launched Project Farmhouse, an event space and sustainability center that hosts workshops, galas, speakers, community meetings and interactive exhibits. The new space is located on 13th Street, on the ground floor of the Hyatt Union Square.
The view from the main entrance of Project Farmhouse with a ceiling made of recycled plastic bottles. Source: ProjectFarmhouse.org
6. New Foodie Spots Opening Soon | Prepare for Korean BBQ alongside classic Korean dishes at Barn Joo’s new multiple-story location at 35 Union Square West, set to open this winter. Acclaimed Israeli chef Meir Adoni teams up with Breads Continue reading