Your Guide To The Best Cups of Joe (And Coffee Deals) in Union Square
With 30+ coffee shops to choose from how are you supposed to know who has the best blends, lattes and deals? Enter: The Union Square Partnership team. We’ve sipped, stirred and overloaded on caffeine to bring you our comprehensive list of the districts’ coffee, punch-card happy baristas included, and what treats to enjoy along the way.
Bakeries and Cafes
Bakeries serve as a one stop breakfast shop where you won’t have to sacrifice the quality of your sweets for an artisan cup of coffee.
- NEW! Maison Kayser (841 Broadway) – In addition to pastries, the new Union Square location features a full coffee bar, tea, chocolate to go, and a sit-down café offering with a wide selection savory prepared dishes.
- Union Fare (5 E 17th Street) – Cold Brew and Cold Brew Latte on draft? Yes, please! And maybe a birthday cake croissant and green tea cookie as well.
- Breads Bakery (18 East 16th Street) – Get their nutella-babka and coffee for a sweet breakfast to share (or not to share…), or come for lunch and get a savory sandwich with your afternoon cup.
- The City Bakery (3 W 18th Street) – An NYC staple that offers great coffee, an abundant selection of food, and a signature hot chocolate with a homemade marshmallow (for when you’ve had too much coffee….is there such a thing?)
- Dough (14 W 19th Street) – Intelligentsia Coffee is on brew here, and these ginormous brioche doughnuts speak for themselves.
- Piccolo Cafe (157 3rd Ave) – You can’t go wrong with in-house baked croissants and Italian espresso. Be sure to stop by Piccolo Cafe on your way to work and grab this yummy combo for breakfast.
- Jivamuktea Café (841 Broadway 2nd Floor) – Walk to the second floor to grab a coffee, tea, or vegan snack from this health conscious café. *Pro Tip* Check out our District Deals to get 15% off your total purchase at Jivamuktea.
- Le Café Coffee (7 E 14th Street and 145 4th Ave) – There is no shortage of Le Café Coffee shops in Union Square. *Pro Tip* Punch cards available – 10 punches gets you a free drink.
The Real Deal
We know – some of you are not going to a bakery to get your coffee. You want to go to go a coffee shop (not that these venues don’t serve up their own delicious grub).
- Coffeed (590 Ave of the Americas) – COFFEED donates 3-10% of its gross revenue to local charities so you can feel good about getting your fix. *Pro Tip* COFFEED offers a monthly, biweekly, and weekly beans subscription. Enjoy perks such as discounts, free coffee and treats, and event tickets.
- Irving Farm (71 Irving Place) – This brownstone-housed coffee shop is great when you want to pick up a breakfast pastry and coffee or a quick sit-down lunch with co-workers. *Pro Tip* Punch cards exist – make sure you ask for one!
- Joe Coffee (13th and 5th) – Sit down outside on the Parsons-designed Street Seats and enjoy a Brooklyn-roasted, freshly brewed Joe Coffee. *Pro Tip* If you happen to forget your punch card one day, just ask for another and you can combine cards to get 10 punches for a free drink.
- Madman Espresso (319 E 14th Street) – This hidden coffee gem offers espresso, coffee, cold brew, chai, and hot chocolate as well as an assortment of pastries. *Pro Tip* Students rejoice! Madman offers 10% off when you present your student ID.
Everything tastes a little better on #friday #eastvillage #nyc #williamsburg #brooklyn #coffee #coffeeeee #coffeeflicks #NYcoffee #exploreeverything #coffeenclothes #vscocoffee #vsco #darlingmovement #NYspots #coffeetime #coffeeaddict #coffeebreak #coffeegram #latte #timetowakeup #espresso #barista #artwork @currentmoodpops @kalebsorganics @cuppsapp #local @jamesslanning
Sip & Stay
If you’re looking for a place to park and get some work done, try one of these Union Square spots.
- Think (123 4th Ave and 568 Ave of the Americas) – The ever expanding coffee shop is a direct trade partner with farmers in Ethiopia, Nicaragua, Mexico, and El Salvador. *Pro Tip* Every $20 you load onto a Think card gets you a free medium regular coffee. Plus, type your email in to get the receipt and every 10 drinks you buy you get any free medium beverage.
- Everyman Espresso (136 E 13th St) – Everyman offers a quiet space to enjoy a coffee or espresso and contemplate the day.
- Peet’s Coffee (853 Broadway) – Nestled inside Capital One, enjoy free wifi, charging stations and community seating in the three story space.
- Mr. Moustache (227 E 14th Street) – Sit in the window seat at this new, quiet and relaxing 14th street coffee shop and sip coffee with a shaved ice and get some work done.
- NewsBar (107 University Place) – Operating since 1998, NewsBar is a great place to grab some coffee and peruse the endless magazines and newspapers.
- O Cafe (482 Ave of the Americas) – This American/South American fusion coffee shop along 6th Avenue is committed to sustainability which is evident in the reclaimed wood décor, compostable coffee cups and wares, locally sourced ingredients, and direct trade coffee.
- The Bean (824 Broadway) – This neighborhood coffee shop is conveniently across the street from the Strand. Pick up a book from the Strand then head to the Bean to read while sipping on a Frozen Mona Lisa.
What’s your go-to spot? Any coffee secrets in Union Square we missed? Let us know @UnionSquareNY.