After 40 years, Summer in the Square keeps getting bigger and better – thanks in large part to our 2016 community sponsors and partners! We’re going to miss spending our Thursdays in the park with you so while we count down the weeks until Summer 2017, here are our top favorite moments from this past season’s free community programs:
10. Summer in the Square takes free bistro seating up a notch with free live entertainment, courtesy of The New School Jazz students!
9. There was no better way to stretch into our Summer Thursday than with sunrise yoga with New York Health & Racquet Club. Although, we’d argue that Ebony Fowler’s week of Zumba with Bryan could challenge every dance class you’ve been to in NYC.
Take your workouts outside and have some fitness fun! I had a blast at this free @Zumba class with @unionsquareny! Thanks for the awesome workout @onlybryan_ @paragonsports @nyhrc @crunchgym! This was the perfect way to #FlirtWithFit and I can't wait to do it again this Thursday!! 💋💪🏾 #USQSummer #Kukere @iyanya 🙌🏾 Wearing @victoriasport #TrainLikeAnAngel sports bra and @mathieathletic shorts #MathieAthletic 💜💪🏾💙
8. Complete with live drums, Reign Hudson brought her Tabura Fitness to the Square with CRUNCH for one of our largest classes of the summer.
7. Weekly, toddlers filled the George Washington Lawn to show off their best (and absolute cutest) downward dogs with Karma Kids Yoga, and we still have Tick Tock, Little Yoga Clock stuck in our heads!
6. Third Street Music School Settlement helped wind down #USQSummer evenings with smooth jazz performances by students and faculty. We still can’t get over this keyboard solo by Grammy winner Arturo O’Farrill with the David Moreno Quartet.
5. When the Little Rockers came to rock out on the main stage, we saw the best rendition of their Smoothie Shake from our Hello Kitty queen.
4. When Citi joined us mid-summer, we were lucky to host two very special guests, Mr. and Mrs. Met! In between enjoying the bubble garden and face painting at the Citi tent, our favorite baseballs stole a moment to dance together in the park.
3. In four weeks of surprise princess performances with Belles of the Ball, our favorite Frozen princesses stopped by the Square and had our youngest attendees squealing with joy. Nothing beat the endless hugs they asked for, and the sing-a-long sessions that followed.
2. To open and close the summer series, Peridance Contemporary Dance Company performed their latest stunning routines. Additionally, throughout the summer, participants of all ages had a chance to show off their moves with Peridance Capezio Dance Center’s Kim Holmes and Shirline Quigley.
Steppin' into Thursday like 💃🏻 with our final three weeks of #USQSummer, free programs in #USQPark. Tomorrow at 5 PM we're taking our hip-hop up a notch on the main stage with @peridancecapeziocenter. Class is free and for all ages. For the full schedule and details on how you can win a @fitbit + @formpilates pass, visit the link in our bio. #IsItThursdayYet #YesAlmost
1. Ending the summer with two dinner + movie nights in the park was unmatched! It was a toss up from watching Chunk on the big screen in The Goonies and listening to the crowd sing-a-long to every Grease song. We loved the enthusiasm of the crowd: when the Goonies found their treasure, applause rose from the crowd, as did after every Grease song.
Oh the summer nights 🎶 tell me more, tell me more 🎶 TONIGHT'S #USQSummer SCHEDULE: 5-8 @crunchgym fitness on North Plaza. 5:15 @peridancecontemporarydanceco performance on South Plaza. 6:30 #Grease movie seating opens – screening starts at dusk. And all the while, @reddoorspa offering braids + manis. We can't wait to see you in #UnionSquareNY tonight for our final Summer in the Square event!
What was your favorite Summer in the Square moment? Let us know in the comments, or with the hashtag #USQSummer on Twitter and Instagram.
We loved spending our Summer in the Square with you! Thank you to the community sponsors who made the 2016 summer of concerts, bubbles, yoga, story time, movies, @mr__met, dancing and so much more possible. Visit them around the Square, and stay in touch to learn about more free programs thru the link on our bio! #USQSummer