Despite what many believe, Cindo de Mayo is actually NOT Mexico’s Independence Day. Today celebrates Mexico’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla, and has become a day to celebrate Mexican history and culture.
If you’re going out or staying in, here are a few options to celebrar en el cuadrado:
- Don’t want to miss the playoffs? Head over to Campeon to catch the game on over 30 big screen HDTVs andenjoy a variety of margaritas and a bar stocked with over 70 tequilas!
- If you’re in it for the guacamole, Rosa Mexicano is a must! What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than with their award-winning dishes and lively atmosphere?
- Not quite Mexican, but Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Latin American cuisine and chic atmosphere at ABC Cocina is hard to pass up.
- What’s a Cinco de Mayo celebration without tequila? Head over to Union Square Wines & Spirits to pick up your favorites from Patron to Don Julio to mix up your perfect margarita at the house.
- Head over to the Greenmarket today to pick up some beautiful (and very seasonal) tomatoes for a fresh salsa that will impress your guests!
- Too busy to make it from scratch? Head over to Whole Foods Market Union Square to pick up some fresh salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips to save time on prepping (giving you more time to hang that piñata from the ceiling).