In an effort to support New York State’s excellent agricultural products, local foods, wines, beers and spirits, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that dozens of New York State chefs and restaurants have taken the Pride of New York Pledge. Working together with the New York State Restaurant Association, the Governor reached out to restaurants, restaurant groups and chefs to support the Pride of New York Pledge and increase their use of New York State products by 10 percent or more.
The Union Square Partnership’s commitment to sourcing locally has always been a priority. With Union Square Park being home to the City’s oldest and largest Greenmarket, we have always encouraged heavy use of Greenmarket products in our annual Harvest in the Square benefit. As New York City’s premier food and wine event held every September in Union Square Park, we incentivize our great restaurant partners to source locally and offer reimbursements for Greenmarket goods.
We are happy to hear that the neighborhood’s own Union Square Hospitality Group has signed on to the Pride of New York Pledge. When you’re dining in Union Square hot spots like Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Café and Maialino, you can take pride in knowing that the they have pledged to:
- Increase sourcing of New York State grown and made products and ingredients including products from New York’s food and beverage producers for their restaurant(s) by 10% or more
- Feature, highlight and increase wines, beers, spirits, ciders and other locally produced beverages on their drink menus by 10%
- Utilize their team’s expertise and talents to introduce new New York themed dishes demonstrating that locally sourced and seasonal products are delicious
- Consistently communicate with their commitment with suppliers, peers and the public so others will support New York State food and beverages
- Educate and maintain staff knowledge of New York State’s locally grown and made products